Monday, September 19, 2016

Crochet lampshades











Crocheted Lampshade with flowers


CROCHETED LAMPSHADE

FinishedShade
Mike and I found a floor lamp at Bed Bath and Beyond that was around 15 bucks because it had no shade.  We brought it home and I decided to crochet a shade for it.
I started by crocheting a big circular sort of thing with a hole in the middle.  I used Lion Cotton yarn.  I alternated rounds of single and double crochet.  On the single crochet rounds I increased the same way you would if you were going to make a crochet ball.  When I was done it looked like this.
CrochetCircle
CrochetCircle2
Next, I cooked up a stiffener.  I used regular old cornstarch and water.  I mixed about 8 tablespoons of starch into 2 cups of water and cooked it until it got thick, shiny, and translucent.  
CookStarch
I poured the starch into a bowl and let it COOL DOWN (very important!!).

Starch2
Then I threw my crocheted circle into the bowl of starch and worked the starch evenly into the cotton yarn with my hands.
StarchSoak
Next, I rolled the crochet circle in a clean towel to get rid of the excess starch.  When I was done it looked like this (it grew quite a bit).
SqueezeOut
Then I stretched the crocheted circle over a big bowl (covered with saran wrap) and let it dry.
OverBowl
DryShade
Once the shade was dry, I attached it to the top of our lamp with the existing hardware and flipped the switch!
FinishedShade2

484. Lampshade Crochet (Karin aan de haak) Tags: handmade crochet lampshade haken haakwerk lampenkapje






No comments:

Post a Comment